Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Celeb Exclusive » Owl City Talks New Album, Road Food & Faith

Celeb Exclusive » Owl City Talks New Album, Road Food & Faith

Their brand spanking new single “Lonely Lullaby” dropped today (listen below!) and Owl City continues to prove themselves as a legitimate force to be reckoned with in the pop music genre.

GossipCenter caught up with Minnesotan mastermind Adam Young, who was kind enough to answer a few questions for us regarding everything from his fabulous new album All Things Bright and Beautiful to his favorite on-tour eateries, and his unapologetic faith.

Adam noted that the process for writing and recording ATBAB was a logical next step from his days in the studio working on his breakthrough album Ocean Eyes. “It was a lot sneakier. I literally hid in a dark underground room with candles and kerosene lamps for three months while I wrote, recorded and mixed the new record. I wore my pajamas for most of the time. Sometimes I would forget to eat. My skin turned ghostly white. My friends and family thought I died. By all accounts, it was incredibly sneaky.”

Looking back to his career with Sky Sailing, Young joked that he’d plumped up a bit. “I eat a lot of donuts so I've definitely put on a few pounds since the Sky Sailing days, but thankfully I wear a suit onstage so I sweat a lot on tour and that's like what wrestling bros do to ‘cut weight’ in high school, so I feel pretty good about myself. Musically, I feel like my mind can handle a bigger dosage of ‘vision’ these days and I love willing a song into existence and watching what happens as it basically writes itself. I love the idea of writing from the imagination and letting the mind do all the dirty work for me. Songwriting has become much more fluid since the Sky Sailing days and I quite like that.”

Earlier this year, Adam released a cover version of a popular hymn called “In Christ Alone,” which not only identified him as a Christian, but also shed some light on his dedication to stay true to his faith. “Ironically I'm reading [Dr. John Piper’s] ‘Desiring God’ right now on the tour bus and John speaks a lot about what is means to be a Christian Hedonist, which was a term I wasn't familiar with until recently. I attend Piper's [Bethlehem Baptist] church in Minnesota and the man speaks with authority! I'm no seminary alumni, but I desire to make my Savior proud because I can only answer for myself.”

When it comes time to chow down on the road, the “Fireflies” singer has a long list places he prefers- “Taco Bell, Applebee’s, Chipotle, Jack in the Box, Chic Fil-A, McDonald's, Culver's, Taco John's, In-N-Out Burger, Cheesecake Factory, Burger King, KFC, Arby's, Subway, Jimmy John's, Pizza Hut, Dairy Queen, Cracker Barrel and all of the above.”

And anyone who has seen Owl City live knows the intensity and dedication Young puts into every performance. “My secret is getting sick. Every tour I inevitably get a nasty cough and cold that are impossibly hard to get rid of, and so I take fistfuls of vitamins and Mucinex every other hour, and by the time I climb onstage, my sinuses feel like a pair of breezy Grand Canyons.”

Young noted that while his lyrical subject matter may seem abstract at times, he loves letting go of reality and embracing whatever catches his fancy. “I like letting my imagination run wild because you never know what's going to happen. NEVER!”

One such example is “Galaxies,” based on his childhood experience with seeing the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster on the news. “My parents always spoke of the Challenger when I was a small boy and I grew up imagining what it would've been like had I been the flight commander of that ship. I wondered what I would've thought/felt as the ship exploded and I were taken from reality into eternity in an instant. The song is about what I would say for myself, how I would answer for my life if I were standing face to face with God.”

Young and his Owl City cohorts are making their way across the USA before heading overseas for some international shenanigans and tom foolery.

For more on Owl City, be sure to visit the band website and enjoy a listen to “Lonely Lullaby” below!




Celeb Exclusive » Owl City Talks New Album, Road Food & Faith 
 Adam Young
Celeb Exclusive » Owl City Talks New Album, Road Food & Faith 
Celeb Exclusive » Owl City Talks New Album, Road Food & Faith 
Celeb Exclusive » Owl City Talks New Album, Road Food & Faith 
Celeb Exclusive » Owl City Talks New Album, Road Food & Faith 
Celeb Exclusive » Owl City Talks New Album, Road Food & Faith
Photo Credit: Wenn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment